New Opportunities – Working Part-Time and Full-Time
Change is exciting. It doesn’t matter how old you are or where in the world you hail from, starting something new is exciting. As a species, humans thrive on this experience; the excitement of change. And why not? Change brings with it so many positive consequences. Perhaps because our brains are hard-wired to do the same thing over and over again, change makes us excited; with the suggestion of something new, our brains practically buzz with anticipation.
Change helps us learn and grow as a person; we acquire new knowledge and meet new people. It challenges us by pushing us out of our comfort zones. Change encourages us to embrace new experiences and opportunities; thus, creating a new, exciting version of ourselves. Change breeds confidence; as you experience new things, your mind expands and you become more flexible and adaptable. A life with change becomes a more robust one; in other words, change is not only exciting, but also a positive life-changing phenomenon.
Your career is a big part of your life, and while many people seek a change in this area it is a big decision to make. Pursuing your passion and launching a new business provides many new opportunities and new challenges. Are you hesitating to take that final jump into something exciting because of your commitments and obligations? There are many ways to make a change in your work-life, including starting your new business part-time.
The Benefits of Working Part-Time
For those who choose to work part-time, the positives far outweigh the negatives. In fact, as more and more professionals begin to prioritize time over money, the choice to work less than full-time is becoming the new normal. Why? Because the benefits are plentiful:
- A flexible schedule is a huge benefit to working part-time. Having the ability to either choose your own hours or to work a more flexible day allows you the opportunity to complete other activities.
- Working part-time is ideal for individuals with young children. Working a shorter day can save on daycare costs, enable parents to drop off and pick up their children from school, and run them to their after-school activities.
- If you care for your aging parents, working part-time enables you to full-fill this obligation.
- Stress levels can be reduced along with the amount of hours worked. A shorter work-day allows time for exercise and other forms of self-care, enabling you to focus on your physical and mental health.
- Working part-time enables you to pursue other interests such as hobbies and community work, which can be very fulfilling personally.
- A perceived negative to working part-time is a loss of income. However, if you are able to adjust your spending habits, working fewer hours can be much more favourable than the demands of working full-time.
The Benefits of Starting a New Career on a Part-Time Basis
Having made the decision to launch your new career, the next decision is whether to start it on a part-time or a full-time basis. Again, the positives for launching a new business part-time are abundant:
- Starting a new venture on a part-time basis enables you to minimize the risk. You are able to “test the water” by starting out small. This is especially true if you launch your new business while still working another job. This allows you to reap the financial rewards of working two jobs, while focusing on your new opportunities.
- Beginning your new career part-time limits the amount of stress as well. Time away from your new business ensures you approach it each day with a clear mind and fresh ideas.
- Starting out part-time enables you to find a schedule that suits you. Once you have launched your new business, you are able to learn when it is beneficial for you work.
- Working part-time in your new venture enables you to gain knowledge and experience in a new skill, while still working another job or while still full-filling family obligations. Starting your new business on a part-time basis enables you to open new doors, network, and learn the basics of a new career, without the commitment of full-time hours. It is a fantastic stepping stone to a new life.
The Benefits of Transitioning A New Business From Part-Time to Full-Time
If you are looking for more of a time commitment, you can transition your new career from a part-time business to a full-time one. As you can imagine, the benefits of a transition are copious:
- Rather than jumping in with both feet, a transition allows you to ease into a new career. By starting out on a part-time basis, you are able to gain experience and knowledge and when you are ready, you can slowly increase your hours.
- Launching a new full-time business can feel a little overwhelming. Starting one part-time, enables you to have a solid plan in place as you transition to your new full-time career.
- As you transition from working part-time to full-time, you are able to determine what the “sweet spot” is for you and your family in terms of income and time commitment.
- When you begin a new career on a part-time basis, you are able to slowly gain confidence in your new skills. This can reduce any fear associated with starting a new business. You know that you can do it; transitioning from part-time to full-time is simply a matter of hours.
Making a change in your career is exciting; new opportunities and challenges abound. Beginning a new venture on a part-time basis has many benefits, including those associated with working less than full-time hours. Learning new skills, networking and gaining confidence slowly over time, enables you to transition your dream into a full-time career.
Regardless of which option you choose, working part-time or full-time, you are able to pursue your passion and take control of your career.